Weather is cold for kids
It is really getting cold and temperature is dropping down significantly. Cold wave is sweeping northern India. This change in season is welcomed by most but it also bring along with them few health hazards (more so for the kids).
Few tips which can help your kids to continue to have good health during next few weeks are:
- Respiratory illnesses are more common along with FLU infection. Protect by taking all the universal precaution along with flu vaccination (esp for small kids and old age).
- Drink lots of warm fluid like warm haldi milk, warm water, tea, coffee etc.
- Honey can be given daily to kids at night.
- Wash your hands regularly. After coughing, sneezing, sharing toys, before meals etc
- Frostnip and Frostbite: children are more prone to these. Make sure mittens are dry and warm; and nose is not too red. Kids should be properly dressed and should not be allowed to spend too much time outside.
- Snacking before going out in cold will give extra calorie to body to keep it warm.
- Proper clothing: one layer extra for children, along with caps and socks are must for kids. Floor inside the house is also very cold even after wearing socks, its better to have shoes also for kids at home.
- If it is very chilling and windy day; and if you are feeling uncomfortable outside, it is better to keep your kids inside.
- You are planning a road trip over the holidays: Important to have some snacks for kids, extra layer of clothing, snugly fitting cap and gloves for kids, first aid kit.
- If you are planning some winter sports activity; makes sure to have all the protective gears on.
Staying home and reading books to your kids along with tea/ coffee; and enjoying the beautiful weather is an awesome feeling. But only if you and your kids are healthy.
Dr Rahul Varma
“Healthy Kids, Happy Family”