” Breast feeding is the best gift from a mother to his/her child “
breast feeding is the best option which mother has in regards with fulfilling nutritional needs of their newborn babies and to ensure that baby reaches its growth potential. but sometimes its very challenging and difficult especially in first time mothers .
- Preparation for the same should start during antenatal classes i.e. before delivery. (providing all pregnant women with information and counseling)
- Breast feeding should be initiated as soon as possible after delivery. (within 1 hour, if medical condition of both baby and mother is stable)
- During time spent in hospital it is advisable to keep mother and baby in same room i.e “rooming in”. Skin to skin contact can provide warmth to baby along with ample time for feeding.
- Assessment and teaching by doctors and nursing staff, regarding correct technique and need for proper attachment for establishing breast feeding.
- First 48 hours, babies nutritional requirements are less, so milk output is less and babies urine output is also less. Gradually over 1st week of life , babies nutritional needs increases, so correspondingly mothers milk output increases and urine output also is 8 to 10 times per day.
- Most important thing is to have confidence in yourself that you can breast feed (as every mother breast feeds and you are no different). It takes time to develop arelationship with your baby.
- Breast milk output increases by help of 2 hormones secreted by brain (oxytocin and prolactin). one of these hormone is secreted when child sucks on breast and other when you have positive thoughts in mind. So if are having relaxed mind free of negative thoughts and your baby is sucking well on your breast, you can rest assure that you will have adequate milk for your baby.
- Exclusive breast feeding i.e. no other pre lacteal feeds like honey, gripe water should be practiced for 1st 6 months. Remember god has sent the baby, and digestive system is best suited to absorb breast milk and anything extra done on your part can cause more harm then benefit.
- If your baby is sucking well on breast, passing urine >8 to 10 times in 24 hours and gaining weight well, you can be assured that your breast milk output is adequate for needs of your baby.
- Confidence on your part and proper guidance from your pediatrician can ensure that breast feeding is a feeling you will cherish for rest of your life. \
Stay healthy, take nutritious diet and breast feed your baby as ” breast feeding is the best gift from a mother to his/her child “
Healthy kids, Happy family