Baby has virtually all the emotions which we have; they feel sad, happy, angry, frustrated, they want your attention; but they have only one way of communicating with you and that is crying. If the baby cries the moment you put her to bed but calms down in your arms or in your lap; then in all probability baby is fine. Because if baby is seriously hungry, no matter what you do, she/he will not stop crying unless feeding is given.
Tips for comforting a crying baby
- Offer a feeding.
- Change the diaper (look for urine and motion, whether baby is wet).
- Sleeping or fatigue, child might get cranky. Goes to sleep when you put her back.
- Hold, swaddle and rock the baby (NEVER SHAKE the baby). Sometime baby just want to be in your arms and seeking your attention.
- Change the noise level of surrounding i.e. if quiet room can play some music.
- Darken the room and reduce stimulation.
- Just take the child to open area for fresh air i.e. balcony or for a walk.
- If baby still does not calm done and crying, better take the child in your car for a drive (most of the kids of this generation love the long drive); but if still baby is crying, change the direction of your car and drive to hospital and meet pediatrician/ child specialist in hospital.
- Most important thing is to try to relax, it happens with absolutely every parents once in a while that baby give you sleepless night.
For any queries feel free to contact us at Maya Clinic and also you can read more on other blogs on our website.
Stay healthy and happy
DR. Rahul Varma