Did you know? Rotavirus vaccines combat the leading cause of deadly diarrhoea among children.
Around the world, these vaccines keep kids happy, healthy and out of hospital!
There is significant reduction in cases of Diarrheal disease since the induction of rotavirus vaccine in National Immunization schedule of many countries.
Hopefully soon we too have this Vaccine in Govt. of India Vaccination schedule UIP (Universal immunization Programme).
Once the vaccine is built indigenously then it will lead to sharp reducing in pricing of this vaccine in private sector too.
Dr Rahul Varma
“Healthy kids, Happy Family”
It is very challenging situation when your baby cries. It is important to keep your cool and do not let professional or personal tensions getting vented on the baby. Relax and remember in life you have faced numerous challenges successfully; so you will get over this one too. It is tough to listen to crying baby, but have faith in your abilities; you can handle it.
Look for the basic things first:
- Feed the baby (might be hungry)
- Burp the child
- Change the nappies (look for susu & potty)
- Time to take a nap (child might be sleepy)
- Child need attention (take child in arm or rocking chair, roam around in room )
- Look for any accidental injury marks, insect bite that might be hurting the baby
- Visit your child specialist to rule out any physical illness that might be causing the baby to cry.
What if everything fails?
- If baby seem fine otherwise but do not stop crying; stay calm (because getting tense or upset will worsen the things). Patience is the biggest virtue when handling children.
- Remember one thing that crying is neither going to hurt the child nor you.
- Keep the environment quiet and hold your baby closer to use and sing some song quietly. Or simply keep talking slowly to your child and keep repeating your favorite phrase or words.
- Give massage or simply pat your baby on back or tummy, it might relax the child.
- Fresh Air: go to balcony or for a walk on the road nearby. You can even take child for a drive (have a cup of ice cream or something with your spouse on the way back).
- Talk to your partner and try to relax each other; it might decrease the frustration. (But if unluckily you are all alone, speak out loud , have glass of water , listen to light music and calm yourself)
- If it is getting beyond you ask for help. Ask your partner, parents, or trusted friends to help.
- Do not feel guilty; it happens with everyone once in a while. Have faith in your abilities. Sometimes babies just need to cry out loud.
- It is Ok to find creative ideas for calming the child but NEVER SHAKE YOUR BABY. Because shaking can have devastating effect on health of your child and some irreparable damage might occur like blindness, brain damage and life threatening illness.
- If you are having emotional issues; it is better to seek help professionally.
- Take care of yourself in best possible way, so that you are mentally, physically and emotionally prepared.
- Fathers should support mother as it is their responsibilities too to take care of their baby.
Feel free to contact your child doctor / Pediatrician. Or you can contact MAYA CLINIC for any help.
Dr Rahul Varma
Weather is cold for kids
It is really getting cold and temperature is dropping down significantly. Cold wave is sweeping northern India. This change in season is welcomed by most but it also bring along with them few health hazards (more so for the kids).
Few tips which can help your kids to continue to have good health during next few weeks are:
- Respiratory illnesses are more common along with FLU infection. Protect by taking all the universal precaution along with flu vaccination (esp for small kids and old age).
- Drink lots of warm fluid like warm haldi milk, warm water, tea, coffee etc.
- Honey can be given daily to kids at night.
- Wash your hands regularly. After coughing, sneezing, sharing toys, before meals etc
- Frostnip and Frostbite: children are more prone to these. Make sure mittens are dry and warm; and nose is not too red. Kids should be properly dressed and should not be allowed to spend too much time outside.
- Snacking before going out in cold will give extra calorie to body to keep it warm.
- Proper clothing: one layer extra for children, along with caps and socks are must for kids. Floor inside the house is also very cold even after wearing socks, its better to have shoes also for kids at home.
- If it is very chilling and windy day; and if you are feeling uncomfortable outside, it is better to keep your kids inside.
- You are planning a road trip over the holidays: Important to have some snacks for kids, extra layer of clothing, snugly fitting cap and gloves for kids, first aid kit.
- If you are planning some winter sports activity; makes sure to have all the protective gears on.
Staying home and reading books to your kids along with tea/ coffee; and enjoying the beautiful weather is an awesome feeling. But only if you and your kids are healthy.
Dr Rahul Varma
“Healthy Kids, Happy Family”