Not a life threatening illness but extremely painful condition with bone pain so severe; which you might have never felt ever in life previously.
- Symptoms begin 3-7 days after mosquito bite. It is caused by day biting mosquito aedes ageptyi (same one which causes Dengue).
- Abrupt onset of high fever and severe joint pain (hands, feet, ankle, wrist, back etc)
- Across all age groups
- other features may include: headache, myalgias, conjunctivitis, weakness, maculopapular rash.
- Most patients feel better within a week but some may feel the joint pain for months.
- Lab test: Normal except for lymphopenia (low WBC or TLC)
- Diagnostic test: (only after 5-7 days of illnes) ELISA based IgM for Chikungunya.
- No specific treatment.
- Adequate Rest
- Plenty of fluids
- Paracetamol . NSAIDS like Ibugesic and meftal etc ,should only be given after Dengue has been ruled out. (as NSAIDS increases chances of bleeding).
- Prevent mosquito bite and breeding of mosquito around your surroundings.
- Avoid self medications , it can be dangerous.
Death due to Chikungunya is rare.
- It is not contagious i.e. it does not spread by touching or in close contact. (It happens in the family and close relatives because all are living in same environment where mosquito is breeding.)
- Remember it spreads in clean water. (So do not blame poor and unhygienic conditions around you for everything).
Dr Rahul Varma