With the arrival newborn babies, all eyes are on baby. Your whole world now revolves around him/her.
Once the initial period of anxiety and fatigue is over, real test of characterstarts. Sleepless nights, doing things which you have never done before (cleaning potty, changing diapers, preparing feeds for babies, giving bath to the little one, making baby sleep in your lap etc) can be really demanding as well as pleasurable.
· Talk to your baby as much as you can, your smile means a lot to your baby. Sing to your baby, read stories, play light music. React positively to every sound baby makes.
· Babies want your attention all the time. You keep playing with them and they will be happy but the moment you leave them alone they will start howling.
· They are part of you only (baby is made from genes of both the parents); so they have all the emotions which you have. They feel happy, sad, agitated, and anxious, want your love and attention and feel secure in your arms. But they have only one way of expressing their feelings and that is crying (more so in younger kids less than 3 months).
· So every crying baby is not necessarily hungry or in pain. They might just want your attention and love and the moment you cuddle and hold them they will stop crying.
· Once the child start moving it is important to keep child in safe environment i.e away from sharp objects and prevent from falling down from bed.
· Do not shake the baby; slow rocking movements are better to calm the baby.
· It is better to make sure your baby sleep with back to bed (especially when unsupervised).
· Use car seats while travelling; believe me they are much safer (especially with the rapid increase in road traffic accident in India).
· Avoid warm fluids (water, milk, tea, coffee etc) near child and prevent burn injuries (hot cup of tea is common cause of burn in small children).
· After 6 months of age; when you start giving food, make sure it is properly mashed and give in small bites only to prevent choking.
· Vaccinate your child on schedule. Prevent from infections as much as possible; wash hands regularly.
· Most important is to take care of your health as a parent. Because you can give your 100% in baby care only when you are physically, mentally and emotionally fine.
· Have faith in your abilities and listen to your inner feeling.
Feel free to contact your pediatrician and discuss in detail all your queries related to babies (never think your question might be silly).
We at MAYA CLINIC will be more than happy to answer any of your queries.
Dr Rahul Varma