Cases of Swine Flu (Influenza viral infection) are on a rise in Delhi- NCR. Many cases have been reported and few deaths too.
But there is no reason to panic. We all need to follow few simple steps and universal precautions, so that we all can be safe. Most of cases of flu infections which have been reported are with H1N1 (i.e. Swine flu) only and Vaccination against same is available. But it takes around 2 week for protection to develop after vaccination.
Tips to prevent against Swine Flu (Flu like illnesses)
- Proper Hand wash to reduce spread of germs.
- Staying away from sick people.
- If you have flu like symptoms; then try to stay at home and avoid crowded places.
- Eat Nutritious food especially food rich in Vitamins and Minerals.
- Get Vaccinated with Flu vaccine. This year vaccine covers for H1N1 strain. Vaccination is more important in high risk age group i.e. children, Old age, people suffering from chronic medical condition, pregnant ladies.
- IF you or your loved ones develop flu like symptoms it is better to consult your doctor. Who if needed will get testing done and assess for need for anti viral medications.
Common Symptoms associated with Swine Flu are:
- Fever (chills or even subjective feeling of feeling feverish)
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Body aches, Headache
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Children can have vomiting and diarrhea too
If you want read in detail regarding Swine Flu, click on the below link of CDC, USA. Remember it’s a US based site, so few things will be different from India due to geographical difference.
Dr Rahul Varma